Tuesday 29 October 2013

Database Methods and all that

This subject so far has been.. how to say... pretty basic. As with all of the course subjects the first week was taken up with explaining how it works and what we have to do in order to get past(or do I mean 'passed' ba-dum-tssch) the subject. For Database Methods, we have a project which makes up 50% of the marks and a 2 hour exam which makes up the other 50%.

Now, when I said it has been pretty basic so far, I really mean it. I think in our second lesson when we first opened up Microsoft Access our tutor informed us kindly that when she said to right click.. she meant for us to click the right mouse button and when she said double click.. she meant for us to double click the left mouse button. Thinking about it, all the other courses are pretty basic and starting everyone from scratch.. it's just this one is more noticeable to me because I have some experience with Access.

If I had come into this course with some knowledge of Python or C#, then I would probably have been trying to make my own fun in the lessons because of how basic it was... like I have been in this class. Most of our time has been spent.. well, entering data into a database(referred to henceforth by it's technical name: DB) directly then filtering it and creating a query to filter the data.

It would be a disservice for me to completely fold a blanket over this subject and say that its completely useless to me, because firstly that is stupid.. who comes up with this stuff and secondly it really hasn't. There have been some awesome little nuggets of information that I didn't know and have picked up in the class. Then on top of that, we are starting to hit territory that I'm not too familiar with - Forms, now I had some knowledge of using them.. in my last job in the UK I was in charge of a huge DB that someone else had created but I had never created my own.

Now I have, hurrah! It's really quite a simple one, I know you can make it look a lot better than just the text boxes and I think that is what we will be learning in the next lessons, after the mid-term, it's not really mid-way through the term though is it! It's been like 5 weeks out of a year long course.. anyway, I'm getting distracted by this tot. I think she also said we would be learning how to make reports and stuff which is also something I've done once or twice! Here is hoping there will be things for me to learn! Like how to do them properly and not a hack-job like the ones I made!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment!